Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Catching up...♥

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong."
~Laura Ingalls Wilder~
Greetings sweet friends...how are you all?

I cannot believe how long it has been since I have written and published a proper post! Keeping up with work on the homestead has kept us all pretty busy recently, especially since our milk cow and her adorable little heifer arrived a few weeks ago...I thought that a 'catching up' post was in order, {{smiles}}

~


^The last few remaining flowers in our garden...
Winter is almost upon us, and we are having to cover our garden beds with shade net at night, to protect the plants from the severe frosts. The vegetable garden is looking a little bleak at the moment, which is usual for this time of year. I have been busy spreading a layer of cow manure across all the empty beds, to keep them warm and composted during the Winter months. My sister and I have also been planting the Winter crops, such as onions, leeks and brassicas.


^Planting the onion crop...
My plan is to plant and harvest 3000 onions this year, which may seem like a lot, but will in fact, only last my family a couple of months, {{smiles}}


^Caleb loves my ducks♥
My ducklings are doing very well.  I have discovered that there are two females and one male. As I wish to increase my flock for eggs, I am keeping the females, but sadly, the drake has one more month left before he will be slaughtered. 


^Introducing Candy, the newest addition to our ever growing homestead...


^...and her sweet calf, Shalom♥

After a rather bumpy start, Candy and Shalom have settled into their new home and are doing very well! We have also established a good milking routine, and we all are enjoying the blessings of owning such a big animal, and the large quantities of fresh milk.♥


^Calf kisses...♥
Sofia, who is our little tomboy and animal lover, is loving having a cow and calf! She is quite happy to spend hours out in the field with them, and it is the sweetest thing to watch her frisking with her 'pet
 calf.' ♥


I have also been canning apples the past few days...it has taken me a while to figure out a recipe, but everything is running smoothly now. It is such a wonderful blessing from the Lord, that we are allowed to wander through the orchards and pick as many as we need..

And, as the weather grows colder, I am anticipating bringing out my knitting, sewing and crafting, and learning new stitches and skills...crocheting being something that I am determined to learn this year! 
I have sorely missed creating, and that is what Winter is for!

I hope that you have a blessed day, dear reader♥

Gabrielle

8 comments:

  1. Hi Gabrielle;
    Happy to read a new post on your blog. It is cute seeing Sofia and Caleb embracing and loving the animals. Here in the states we are almost into Summer. The season of high temperatures,humidity and BUGS! Yesterday I went out with Marilyn to do some yard work. The front is okay but the back is just like a jungle. After awhile I had to stop due to fatigue. You are right about crafts,Winter is the time for crafts. I have been reading . Just finished re reading the Rebecca series from American Girl, Gooseberry series #5 and The Ivy Hill Tales series(the first 3 books).Book 4 A Christmas one I will read later..
    God Bless
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marion, so lovely to have you stop by...thank you for leaving me such a kind, newsy comment! Happy reading♥
      Blessings, Gabrielle

      Delete
  2. Hi Gabrielle, It is so nice to hear from you. You sure have been busy. Our flowers are thriving. The Lily of The Valley have finished. They only come out in May. The Lilies are ready to burst.The Pansies and Geraniums are beautiful. The Pansies do not like the hot weather ,so they must be watered quite often. The white Rose bush has just started to bloom. I just finished the 14th and last book in The Mitford Series and a book on the History of The .American Flag. I started book 5 in the Gooseberry Cove mysteries. I can not wait for the cooler weather to start crafting again. Your animals are adorable. Sofia and Caleb seem to have a lot of fun with the animals.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your sweet comment Marilyn...was wonderful to hear from you!
    Blessings~ Gabrielle♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to see a new post from you! I enjoyed all of your pictures and seeing what you've been up to. It has been a whirlwind of a spring for me here in the U.S....seems like my days are never long enough to get all the gardening work done, among other things! I am just beginning to get more flowers to bloom, and have been able to sell some bouquets at the farmer's market recently.
    You all must use a lot of onions! :) I do like onions quite a bit, but I've not really tried growing them very often. Seems like they never did well for me when I did try.
    I wish you success with learning to crochet! That's exciting. :) I've been crocheting since I was little, and currently run an Etsy shop selling my items that I make. It's been a blessing to earn some from home with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sunshine Country, thank you for your comment! I loved reading about what you have been busy with♥ Your comments always bring a smile to my face...thank you!
      Blessings and love to you,
      Gabrielle♥

      Delete
  5. What a cosy sort of post, Gabrielle! Love the picture of you planting onions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww♥ Thank you Kelly...miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I hope that you enjoyed your 'visit,' and that you will come again♡
I love hearing from all of my sweet readers so please, feel free to leave me a comment♥
Blessings, Gabrielle