Friday, June 16, 2023

little things lately...

"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success, bound with constant unrest."
~Albert Einstein~

Bottle feeding our lambs. We have discovered that lambs are extremely fragile and can die easily. It has been a journey, and we are learning so much with each new lamb we raise.

 Dear friends, hello♥

It is a cozy Winter's evening and after running around outside, trying to finish the chores as quickly as possible, I have returned to the warmth of the fire. A hot soup is bubbling on the wood stove and a delectable apple crumble awaits us for dessert. Outside it is cold and damp and we are so blessed to be safe and warm indoors.

Can you believe that it has been over four months since I have written and published a new post? I have missed writing, however, I have come to realize that during the Spring and Summer months, blogging is not really a possibility. For it is over these seasons that we are kept the most busy, planting, harvesting and preserving. To get back into the swing of writing, I thought that a 'little things lately'  catch up post was perhaps in order. Enjoy, {{smiles}}

~

the world outside...

It is late Autumn early Winter here in our little corner of the world and the apples have been harvested. We have the blessing of walking through the numerous orchards that surround our property, gleaning the apples left on the trees. The leaves have long ago turned brown and are blowing away, leaving the scenery around here looking rather bleak. I do not enjoy the cold weather very much and although it is but the start of Winter, I find myself longing for Spring already!

on the homestead...

As always, our little farm is growing! There are two pregnant ewes grazing in the fields now, we bought a calf from our neighbor and she walks with our milk cow who is also pregnant. Also, we are bottle raising two rejected lambs, they sleep inside a huge wooden box next to our fire each night. Oh! And I almost forgot, we rescued three tiny, motherless kittens! The plan was to raise them until they were old enough to give away...but we all loved them so much that they found their forever home with us, {{smiles}}

in the garden...

There have been some exciting developments concerning the gardens this month and I have been eager to share the plans for this season. However, as there is so much to tell, I have decided to write a separate post, which I will publish very soon, stay tuned, {{smiles}}

around the house...

On a normal week day morning, our house is usually very chaotic. There are numerous chores to complete before breakfast and the animals all need to be fed, our cow is milked and turned into the field to graze along with the sheep. My older sisters get ready for their work and I go outside soon after breakfast and the morning discussion,  to spend my day in the garden. Sometimes things can get a little out of control, but for the most part, we all know what we need to do and everyday life runs quite smoothly.  

creating...

For my Winter's project, I have chosen to sew a War Time Quilt, using the feathers I pluck off of my ducks once they are slaughtered. Not much is known about these ingenious quilts, so I will be writing more about it in a future post.

planning...

The Summer garden! This Autumn, life got a little out of control and we missed most of the planting season, which means that the garden is a little bare at the moment. However, I have been spending the rainy days to watch inspiring gardening vlogs and planning on paper, what the garden will look like come Summer.

hoping...

To spend the next few days slaughtering the last of my ducks. At one point, I was the owner of twenty~eight Muscovy ducks and felt rather overwhelmed!  Unfortunately we do not have the space or resources to run a duck farm and so in the future, I will not be allowing so many of the females to hatch so many ducklings! There are twelve left to slaughter and that is the job I have planned for tomorrow. 

from the kitchen...

As the cold weather sets in, soups are frequently on the menu and we have been indulging in and enjoying many warm apple pies whilst apple season lasts.

enjoying...

My sisters. Recently I have come to fully realize how blessed I am to have so many siblings and that we are so close. They are my best friends and I love them all so much.

sipping...

A cup of hot coffee.

reading...

More of Miss Read. We discovered that we can download books online, so that, although I prefer to read a proper book and I dislike using a phone, I am happy that I can at least read and enjoy them. 

Also, my sister, Beth has been reading aloud to Rebekah and myself. She is reading a hilariously funny book about Robin Hood. However, there is a twist on the usual tale, and Robin is a girl. I cherish the rainy nights, snuggled up with my sisters enjoying listening to a good book being read aloud

listening to...

 Instrumental hymns by a young lady named Taryn Harbridge. Her music is so uplifting and beautiful, I love to have it playing softly in the background as I work in the kitchen. This one is lovely

thankful for...

Time spent with my eldest sister, Kelly, and little Nicholas♥

some lovely words...

"Contentment is possible only as we cultivate and maintain that attitude of accepting everything which enters our lives as coming from the hand of Him who is too wise to err, and too loving to cause one of His children a needless tear."

~A.W Pink~

an encouraging verse...

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

~Philippians 4:11~

Dear Friends, I hope to be back again soon, with more pictures and newsI hope that you all are well, let me know what you have been busy with. I would love to hear from you!

Blessings~ Gabrielle




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope that you enjoyed your 'visit,' and that you will come again♡
I love hearing from all of my sweet readers so please, feel free to leave me a comment♥
Blessings, Gabrielle